- The following procedure is available starting with SAMBA version 4.9.
- The procedure can be performed on a host that is unrelated to the domain, but one domain controller must be reachable, must be used as a nameserver at the time of the backup and have open ports for DNS (53/tcp and /udp) SSH (22/tcp), LDAP (389/tcp), Kerberos (88/tcp and udp) and SMB (445/tcp).
1. On the machine that will be used to perform the backup, if not already present, install SAMBA.
apt -y install samba
2. Get the current smb.conf from the DC you want to query:
scp dc01.ad.example.com:/etc/samba/smb.conf ./smb.conf.dc01
3. Create a backup output directory:
4. Ensure that /etc/resolv.conf contains the IP address of dc01 as the nameserver.
5. Perform the backup:
samba-tool domain backup online \ --server=dc01.ad.example.com \ --configfile=smb.conf.dc01 \ --realm=AD.EXAMPLE.COM \ --username=administrator@AD.EXAMPLE.COM \ --targetdir=samba-domain-backup